Monday, April 14, 2008

Borderless

Although I am an avid reader, I will admit that my full immersion in translated literature is not what it could be. In school I was exposed to some world literature, mostly Russian and Latin American. So, I did a little digging to expand my literary horizons.

My initial search brought me to my local bookstore, where I asked the cheerful sales associate where I might find a section of world literature. The bookstore employee smiled briefly and then answered that the store did not have a section of world literature. I found this to be true of all the major bookstores I visited. Each book seller replied the same and then asked if perhaps I knew the name of the author or book I was looking for. I know for me personally (and I think I can assume the following to be true of the average person), that the perspective book buyer is less inclined to search shelf after shelf for a work of foreign origin. Most customers don't make it past the bestseller or bargain books table.

I needed suggestions, recommendations. I asked friends and co-workers for any guidance, but most were stumped to come up with good reading suggestions. Failing traditional, hands on searches, I resorted to the Internet. Here I discovered a wonderful website devoted to international literature.

Words without Borders is an on-line literary magazine devoted to reviewing, and promoting translated works of literature. The site provides book reviews and excerpts of best-sellers and recently published works, as well as author and translator profiles. This month spotlights female Chinese writers. The magazine has also introduced their Words without Borders Translator Database. Other features include forums, blogs, teaching resources, and the magazine's own recent publications.

Perhaps translated works would be more profitable if publishers requested book vendors to feature a world literature table - in between the best sellers and bargain books.

I'd love to hear reading suggestions...

Sphere: Related Content